- First Name
- Middle Name/M.I.
- Last Name
- Media Availability
- Categories of Difference
- Research Associate
- Institutional Affiliation
- Neal A. Maxwell Institute, Brigham Young University
- Highest Degree Relevant to Mormon Studies
- Discipline of Degree
- American History, Theology
- Biographical Sketch
I have master’s degrees in American History and Theology from Brigham Young University and Vanderbilt University, respectively, and a doctorate from the University of Leicester in England. I am currently the Laura F. Willes faculty research associate at the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at Brigham Young University.
Mormon Studies Expertise
- Methods/ Approaches
- History, Religious Studies, Theology
- Chronological Focus
- 19th century
- Geographic Focus
- Europe, United States and/or Canada
- Research Topics
- Anti-Mormonism, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gender/Femininity/Masculinity/Sexuality, Material Culture, Race/Ethnicity, Scripture, Theology, Women's History
- Key Words
“Becoming a People of the Books: Toward an Understanding of Early Mormon Converts and the New Word of the Lord,” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Summer 2018).
General editor (with co-editors Richard L. Turley Jr. and LaJean Purcell Carruth) of the Mountain Meadows Massacre: Complete Legal Papers (Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2017).
Co-author (with Jennifer Reeder) of The Witness of Women: Firsthand Experiences and Testimonies of the Restoration (SLC: Deseret Book, 2016).
“In Search of Punishment: Mormon Transgressions and the Mountain Meadows Massacre,” PhD Dissertation, School of History, University of Leicester (2014).